Saturday, May 18, 2013

How to make your letters a little more special...

Are you someone who likes to write letters, but doesn't know how to make them a little more exciting or special?  Here's an idea to get you motivated...

For starters, instead of using plain paper, why don't you cut out a long strip or scrapbooking paper, fold it into three...
I snipped the corners off to create a scalloped effect when it's folded out.



I also put washi tape along the edge to create a border. Now get writing!

Flip your paper over to the patterned side and have a think about what your recipient likes.
I'm writing to Tasha for the first time through www.sendsomething.net and her profile says she likes Dystopian and Lyrical novels.  So I thought I'd write down some recommendations of my own.

Instead of just writing straight onto the patterned paper, why don't you use some tags, or cut out rectangles of different coloured paper to write on, then stick it on?

I traced around the edges with black texta to create a bolder effect

When your paper is folded up, you'll want something nice on the front, yes?
Tasha likes feathers, so I searched through my sticker stash until I found something she would like, and stuck it on the front, again tracing around it with a thin black liner.

I added a bit of coloured twine around the paper, just for kicks!

What else can we do to make it extra special for Tasha?  
I made a little pouch for the letter to go into, and added her name on the front with alphabet stickers.  I couldn't find another matching 'A' for Tasha....so *cough* we'll shorten her name to Tash for today :)
At this stage, you can add further stickers, tape, borders....anything really. You could even tuck a blank postcard inside, or a photo.

Try to compliment the colours you are already working with.

Right, now for how we are going to send it.  I don't want it to be damaged during the post from Australia to America, so I'll wrap it in something.  Tasha likes herbs, so I found this page that I tore our of Frankie Magazine.



I did a simple wrap of the letter, and popped another feather sticker on the end.  It's one that will easily peel off in case Tasha wants to use the paper for her own craft.



Pop it in an envelope (I've only used a plain one here, but you can make something really creative if you like).

Remember to write clearly, and use the correct postage.

Seal her up and you're done!

A bit of washi tape never goes astray. Don't forget your return address!



And there you have it. Make the recipient of your letter smile by doing something a little different. It will be worth it when they get it and send you an' OMG!' text or email :)

Happy mail should be happy!  Get creative and do something different for your mailouts this week!

Click here to follow me on Instagram to see more of my mail that gets sent out.




1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea!! Thanks for the tips! I am just starting the pen-pal thing, and other than the little A2 cards I make, I don't have good ideas for letter writing materials. I hate to buy stuff when I have scads of lined paper around, but I agree it is nicer to dress it up. I will take your suggestions!
    Thanks!
    tm

    ReplyDelete